Thursday 6 October 2011































































Shrewsbury, Shropshire is a dream for anyone who loves history. There is gorgeous architecture aplenty, beautiful timber framed buildings galore and it's pretty good for shopaholics too. There are numerous churches, a castle, flowers in abundance including an annual flower festival. I took all these photographs within a short distance from each other. It would take me a lifetime to capture all the interesting things that our county town boasts.
 There's also an Abbey, a railway station, loads of eateries, places to stay, a huge library, a lovely park, the River Severn running through it spanned by the English bridge at one end and the Welsh bridge at the other. It's where my most favourite of all the versions of Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' was filmed starring the late George C.Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge. I want to try and get some photo's of Ebenezer's film prop tombstone which I believe was left in one of the churchyards after filming had ended at the request of the townsfolk.
I think you may just get the idea that Shrewsbury is a place I love to visit and as it's only twenty miles away from home it's the perfect distance for a day out.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I am in love with these photos. Someday I would love to experience England. BTW, my favorite Christmas Carol is the old black and white with Alister Sims as old Ebenezer!

xo, Bonnie

Sandi said...

Thanks Bonnie. I think I fell in love with the George C.Scott version because it was fun watching it the first few times and recognising where some of the scenes were filmed. Shrewsbury is the perfect location to portray Victorian England as there are still so many timber framed buildings.

Followers

About Me

A Down to Earth Dreamer